Friday, December 14, 2012

Advent Calendar- Fruitcake

I can remember coming home from school seeing all the little pieces of colored fruit cut up on the table. I knew what was about to happen. Mom was making the dreaded fruit cake. First of all I do not like anything with nuts in it, and fruitcake has them. So that made it that much more unlikeable to me. Next I could not understand why for the life of me they bothered to color cherries green. That turned me off as well.
But mother apparently made a good fruitcake because everyone always wanted her to share with them. She made it in a bundt cake pan and would slice it in portions to share with friends and neighbors.
It never failed that my father's mother would show up with a heavy store bought version that my mother always politely accepted and then later gave away, claiming the were inedible. We were sworn to secrecy as not to hurt Grandmother's feelings.








This is the fourteenth blog in the series by GeneaBloggers Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment