Saturday, December 8, 2012

Advent Calendar- Christmas Cookies

There are some cookies that are only made once a year in my family, generally at Christmas time. We call them the "Good" Peanut Butter cookies. My aunt still bakes them and gives them to my children and family as Christmas gifts. They have become a special tradition in my house.
I can remember making them and bringing them to Christmas parties and everyone exclaiming over them because they just melt in your mouth.
My Great Aunt DeDe always made us Mexican Wedding cookies each year at Christmas. They were her specialty and my father's favorite. She is gone now and last year I made some for my father at Christmas. He was over joyed and we were all reminded of DeDe once again.
My favorite was the almond spritz cookies. I used to love to use the recipe to put in the cookie press and make all kinds of designs. I decorated using colored dough and sprinkles. Then there are those kiss cookies that you make with rolled peanut butter cookies and a Hershey kiss in the center. Yum! It wouldn't be Christmas without those!

Peanut Butter Cookies

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg
1  1/4 cups  all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Mix sugars, peanut butter, shortening, butter and egg in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours or until firm. Heat oven to 375ºF. Shape dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. Place about 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten in crisscross pattern with fork dipped into flour. Bake 9 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 5 minutes; remove from cookie sheet. Cool on wire rack.








This is the eighth blog in the series by GeneaBloggers Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment