Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Jelly Donuts for Fat Tuesday


My grandmother who was born and raised in New Orleans, often talked about Mardi Gras and what it was like for her as a kid growing up in the middle of it all. The one tradition that she passed on to us all was eating jelly donuts on Fat Tuesday. Sure we had King Cake and all, but what was even better to us was those jelly donuts.

It is something that I have passed down to my own children, and this morning I was expected to get up early and make the drive to go get the donuts in the rain. I am sure that my sister who is pretty much snowbound in Connecticut right now will manage to find a way to get her jelly donuts today. Since it is just not Mardi Gras without them!








I am guessing the tradition has something to do with my grandmother's German heritage since many German's celebrate Shrove Tuesday with donuts called fastnacts and the Polish with paczki.


Whatever the reason, I am stuffing myself with jelly donuts as I sit watching the Moose on WWL today  as the parades roll on in the rain, all from the comfort of my home!
Tomorrow will be here soon enough, time for ashes, penance and fasting. Til then I hear a raspberry filled donut calling my name.......




1 comment:

  1. Those jelly donuts sound so yummy that I'm going to go out and buy some today (at Tim Hortons, here in Canada)! We didn't eat a particular food or foods for "Mardi Gras", but my Mom made sure we had a hearty supper.

    ReplyDelete