Sunday, October 21, 2012

Sentimental Sunday- Halloween

 The cool crisp evenings near the end October always make me think of Halloween. I still get the little excited feeling inside. I think back to those days of brainstorming for the perfect costume. Only to have my mother cut holes in an old sheet and throw it over my head.

I always wanted one of those store bought costumes with the plastic mask and the elastic string.

Now that I look back and remember the pile of red yarn my mother cut for endless hours to turn me into Raggedy Ann, I have admit that those homemade costumes were better than the ugly hot plastic costumes to be bought at the store.

Yet at the time you could not convince me of that. Not when all my friends were wearing the store bought ones. So finally my mother gave in and bought me a Brunhilda costume from TG&Y. I was miserable the whole night!

I carried on the tradition of making costumes at home for my own children. They too complained. Though just the other day as I pulled down the box of Halloween decorations, my now 20 year old daughter ooohed and ahhhed over all the old costumes from her childhood. The silver sequined harem costume was one of her favorites. She remembered that I had even made silver shoes with turned up toes to match.

Now you hardly ever see a child in a homemade costume. They have magazines that come in the mail with pages full of costumes. The children sadly don't even know to say, "Trick or Treat, Smell My Feet, Give Me Something Good to Eat. If you don't then beware." (After which my brother and I would often add "We'll pull down your underwear" and snicker and giggle.)

This year I think I will just cut some holes in an old sheet and throw it over my head just for old times sake!







1 comment:

  1. So true. I don't remember having store bought costumes when I was little. But I don't have any crafting skills! So store bought it is for my kids. Maybe as they get a little older...happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete