Monday, July 16, 2012

Monday Madness- The Sylvan's

I can't for the life of me understand why the name Sylvan was so popular in the late 19th and early 20th century. I have gnashed my teeth and pulled my hair over the many Sylvan Ladner's on the Mississippi Coast all born near and around the same time as each other. To top that off most of them are juniors, which of course means that I can not simply search for their father and perhaps find them that way.

Then you have the various spellings, such as; Silvan, Silvain, Silvian, Sylvain, Silvyn, Cylvan, Cevillian, Sylvane, Sillvan.

What were they thinking?

Of course there is the female version where Sylvan has a sister named Sylvania, Sylvia,  Silvania, Cevilla, or Sevilla.

One of my husbands great grandfather's named Sylvan Ladner, had these as his siblings. No joke.

Cevillian V. Ladner
Ceville P. Ladner
Cevelia Rose Ladner
Sylvan P. Ladner
Sylvania Ladner
Sylvia Ladner
and then I think just to mess with me, they had...
Ferdinand J. Ladner

My only hope in keeping these people straight is the birth dates and the middle initials. It is a genealogist nightmare! I may truly be driven mad by a simple name!







No comments:

Post a Comment