Thursday, July 5, 2012

Kicking the Genealogy Bucket



To Kick the Bucket according to Wikipedia: To kick the bucket is an English idiom that is defined as "to die" in the Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue (1785).[1] It is considered a euphemistic, informal, or slang term.[2] Its origin remains unclear, though there have been several theories.

Therefore one must have a Bucket List before they kick the bucket! Making a bucket list became popular after the movie of the same name came out. Although I am sure that way before the movie many people had a list of things they wished to do before they died.

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings recently came up with a fun idea of creating a genealogical bucket list. 

After much thought about places I would love to visit, and things I feel I must do, I narrowed it down to four main things that I feel are essential to my Genealogy Bucket List.

  1. Complete the family history book that I have been writing for years. In which my husband constantly complains that I will never finish because I keep saying I must add more. I must learn that genealogy will never be complete because tomorrow someone will die or be born, and I can always write a volume II. 
  2. Visit every family cemetery and transcribe to my hearts desire.
  3.  Visit France, most of all St. Eustace Church in Paris.
  4. Copy all old photos onto disk, label and place in a binder for quick reference and quick leave taking. If Hurricane Katrina taught us anything about preserving our history this was just one of the many! 

Of course there are many, many more things regarding genealogy that I would love to get the chance to do....So, with that in mind I hope my bucket kicking will wait another day!!


No comments:

Post a Comment